Monday, October 20, 2008

S’chach


Various disjointed tidbits of Sukkot that didn’t fit anywhere else: ¶ Micah and I built, nay, assembled our sukkah motzei Yom Kippur. This was anything but construction, but there was a cool feeling of “I made this” the whole week. Our sukkah is endearingly tacky. ¶ In America, people generally sell arba minim as a set, with the holder things on the lulav ready to go. Here, everything is sold separately, nothing has prices marked, and it’s very frustrating and overwhelming. ¶ On the way to the concert in Beit Shemesh, I saw a random sukkah-shack just sitting there on the side of the highway. ¶ Also on way, driving through the mountains and forests, with the city lights just out of view, I glimpsed ancient Israel in the night, as it may have looked ages ago. ¶ Sukkah parties are fun. People who play three instruments make me feel bad about myself. ¶ I walked across Jerusalem yesterday because I had two hours to kill. This may be blasphemy, but most of it’s not that scenic. But hopefully now I’ll have a better sense of geography and won’t get lost. ¶ My etrog smells nice. There should be more things that smell nice. ¶ Most olim are weird. ¶ I am very not productive this week. Next week I start working for real. Should I be worried?

No comments: