Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Hineni

I find one of the most affecting parts of the Yom Kippur service to be the short prayer the leader recites before the Musaf: Hineni, Here I am, impoverished, trembling and afraid. In it, the leader confesses, I have come to stand before You for Your people Israel who have sent me, although I am unworthy and unqualified to do so. Thus I plead of You … do not hold them to blame for my sins and do not find them guilty of my iniquities. It is a powerful admission, before the entire congregation, that even I, the appointed leader, am not without sin. There is no concept in Judaism of infallibility. Even Moses sinned against God, and willfully, despite his status (according to Maimonides in his 13 principles of faith) as foremost among the prophets. No one is perfect, and at the same time, no one can atone for your sins for you. You’re on your own. As we all accept responsibility upon ourselves for our actions, we pray that God accept our prayers and aid us in our repentance. I ask forgiveness from those who I have wronged, and I pray for focus and direction in the coming year. Blessed are You who hears prayer. Gmar Tov.

No comments: