Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I Approve This Message


Today I actually start work. I have a bunch of stuff to do for Micah, so it’s time to start procrastinating. News junky that I am, I’d been following the coverage of the election pretty closely since the start of the campaign season, and it frequently got me pretty worked up. Thus, I pledged a self-imposed media blackout upon my arrival to Israel. That lasted about a week. Today’s news: LA is on fire, and Collin Powell endorsed Barack Obama. I knew I liked him. I support Obama for many of the same reasons Powell does. He’s articulate, thoughtful, and intelligent. I also support the things he stands for, including environmentalism, human and civil rights, separation of church and state, responsibility, pragmatism, etc. I am also put-off with the way McCain has handled himself since 2004, and especially in this campaign. But it’s more than that.

People look at McCain and see a guy who has done good things. People see Obama and are inspired to be better people. There’s an aspirational quality to him and his message. Hope. Change. Yes We Can. These are not slogans but mantras. I don’t need a comfort blanket: I need a raison d'être. I want someone who represents the American spirit, someone who thinks deeply and can speak to me without condescension, someone who understands and embraces nuance and complexity, someone with a force of will and an outstretched hand, someone who truly believes in our potential. I am almost 24 years old and I can honestly say I’ve never been inspired by a politician before. I was born into a post-Watergate America. I was 4 for “Read my lips,” 13 when Lewinsky was news, 16 when W. Bush took office. I am the future of America and I am almost without faith in its promise. Then I heard Obama speak.

This election is as much about narrative as it is about issues. But that is not entirely a bad thing. What is it that moves us, compels us to strive? You’d be hard pressed to find such passion for McCain as we’ve seen for Obama. Something about his presence stokes our creativity, challenges our intellect, and restores confidence in government. He is not the messiah. He is not magic. And yes, he has his weaknesses. But he believes, and makes us believe, in ourselves.

1 comment:

Marni said...

since you're currently in israel, this makes me think of you...

http://frgdr.com/blog/2008/02/16/mentch-white-house-2/