Monday, July 27, 2009

Comic-Con!

This weekend was one of the events I look forward to all year — Comic-Con in San Diego. Anyone who knows me knows I love comic books. Comic-Con has changed a lot since I started coming a few years ago. Increasing popularity of blockbuster franchise properties has brought hordes of attendees who come more for Twilight/Lost/Whatever than for comics. It's cool that it exposes more people to comics, but it's really annoying that they clog up the convention center and sell out the show (150,000+ people over four days) months in advance. My favorite part of Comic-Con is meeting the writers and artists who created the books I love and having them sign my comics. This year was a real treat. Seen below is the legendary Gene Colan holding my newly signed copy of Iron Man #1! The man is 82 years old, and he's been drawing comics since the 1940s. He was actually really surprised I knew who he was! I also met a bunch of other awesome folks, got some sketches, and can't wait for next year. Maybe I'll even have some money by then.

No comments: