Thursday, November 20, 2008

Life of a Modern Bum

I had an emergency conference call about the forthcoming issue of PresenTense. In long-forgotten times of twenty years ago, an international phone call was something special. “Excuse me, but I have a long distance call,” was a valid exit from any situation. My cousins have an internet phone line with a local Los Angeles number. We talk, make plans, and only have to worry about not catching the other one at breakfast. Micah says his office has conference calls with various people in Israel, all routed via the internet and American phone numbers back to home offices in Israeli suburbs. Global telecommunications hurts my head.

Without a segue, I haven’t showered since Tuesday. Most homes here have a dood shemesh, or solar-powered water heater. The morons who built this house put the dood on the side of the roof that doesn’t get sun until about 11:00am. By nightfall, unless you supply an external power source, there is no more hot water. This leaves a roughly five hour window in which to shower, and one that falls squarely on my peak work hours. I blame Herzl for my BO.

No comments: